Monday, 9 January 2017

[Poem] The Neem Tree

                                    Image from:http://dristals.deviantart.com/art/Dying-planet-304082278

I sit here
In this plush hall
Wooden panelled
With leaf inlays in gold
Sofas of rosewood and teak
Covered in leather
Await invasion
The carpet is green
'Green is good for the eyes'
They say
I wait, desperation mounting
For you.

The search began with a dream long forgotten
Of that summer...


In the duclet shade
We played
The sweet wind blew
It rained tender yellow petals
and berry showers of jade
'They are grapes'
You proffered
In recall
They taste sweet
We strung them together
in crooked necklaces
Jagged embellishments
that fell
Crushed and stained our clothes
As we knelt down
And I learnt to write
My first words
My first times table
The world echoed with our laughter
                                     Image from:  http://evanyia.deviantart.com/art/The-earth-is-dying-171030766

Under the neem tree in the yard
 If I could stop time
I would stop it then

Since
Now, that you are gone
This desperate pilgrimage
To kindle a crumbling memory

My search ends
I know all is in vain
When
The manager laughs
He stares at me strangely
When he hears the year
'We took down all the trees
A long time ago'

I whirl around dizzily
To find the spot
  From which all my memories grow

A sudden fear grips me
And I begin to see the dead
Animals, the dead tress in a
Dying Planet

No comments:

Post a Comment