Wednesday, 17 August 2016

[Poem] The Fall

                                                       Image: Munier, Emile -The Broken Vase 
A battered mother
smothers to save
feeds husk
the neonate to choke
She crushes, she kills to save
Her wealth, her honour
Or her daughter's
She does not know...
Thus began our oral histories

She does not know
I am the hope for mankind

I Survive held aloft
by wispy tendrils
that threaten to break
Overhead hovers the weight of centuries
Cloudbursts of oppression to rain

Then I fall,
At every heave
'You are a virgin, free of guile'
'You are a sin, a temptress rank and vile'
The phrases pile
'You are weak'
Abuses pile
Of the mouth, the lips, the hips

I thrash about
My womb swells
Births Dragons, Catapults, Mortars, Cannons,
A giant advances all cells firing

Meanwhile I lie curled
In my own pod
I crawl, crouch in cold and wetness
Every time to rise - fear purged
Laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment